Many people across the country ride bicycles every day. With fuel prices rising, the bicycle has proven to be an economical form of transportation. However, with millions of people in cars in California, bicycle accidents have to happen. If a cyclist is hit by a car while riding his bicycle, this impact can cause serious injuries or even a wrongful death.Even with the proper safety equipment and safe drivers, a cyclist can be injured due to poorly designed bicycle lanes or general defects of the bicycle itself. When riding a bicycle, the body of a cyclist is greatly exposed to a serious injury should a car accident occur.
Consequences of a Bicycle Accident
A negligent motorist can cause a lot of damage to a cyclist. Such damages may include the following:
- Considerable medical bills
- Loss of income
- Permanent disfigurement
- Permanent disability
- Psychological trauma
- Serious Physical Injury
- Back injury
- Brain injury
Our network bike accident attorneys have successfully represented injured cyclists who were hurt because of collisions with motorists. They also work on a contingency basis, so that you don’t pay, unless you get paid.
Statute of Limitations For a Bicycle Accident Claim:
A bicycle accident victim has 2 years from the date of the accident to file a claim. Exceptions to the 2-year time frame include:
- The injured bicyclist is mentally incompetent during the 2 years timeframe to file a lawsuit
- The injured bicyclist was physically incapable of file a claim for damages
- The bicyclist was unaware of a serious injury that was sustained from the accident
- The injured bicyclist was below 18 years when the accident occurred. In such cases, the statute will not begin until the minor’s 18th birthday.
If the defendant’s is a government vehicle, the statute of limitations is 6 months from the time of the accident to file a claim for damages.
Potential Damages that can be collected in a Bicycle Accident Claim:
- Medical expenses which include doctor bills, hospital bills, expenses for prescription drugs, rehabilitative therapy, and all other treatment related expenses.
- Lost wages if you were unable to return to work following your bicycle accident.
- Pain and suffering damages will be awarded to those who have suffered, and will likely continue to suffer of physical or mental pain or trauma.
Contact Attorneys for All for your Bicycle Accident Lawsuit and get help in understanding the strict time limits and pre-filing administrative procedures .Our Bicycle Accident Attorneys guide you through the complex process by navigating through any administrative procedures that are required before filing the lawsuit.